View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:32 pm

Forum rules

No references to illegal activities, no illegal activities of any kind, no excessive badmouthing towards other users, no badmouthing of other companies.

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
Drugtesting? 
Iso-Tones Regular

Many of the workplaces and employment companies in my city are using drug tests as a screener for prospective employees, which is causing controversy among defenders of civil liberties and students at the local university.
What do you guys think?

Personally, I find drug testing to be unethical, an invasion of privacy, and an additional poke into an individual's life by meddlesome companies and government agencies. For a recent job, not only was I drug tested, but I was also given an intelligence test and a personality exam as factors in determining my employment (I got hired, by the way) and mind you, this wasn't a top government official position, this was a standard student, part-time job.
If an employee is noticeably intoxicated in the workplace, their behavior will be a red-flag in itself and the administration can act accordingly, but what a person does in the privacy of their own home should not be held against them as a judge of character or an indicator of their performance in the workplace.

Also, these drug tests also test for prescription drugs such as antidepressants which can discriminate against individuals who suffer from anxiety and depression. These conditions are already stigmatized in society and these drug tests only further possible rejection from companies that don't want to be associated with an employee's medical condition.

Fri May 16, 2008 11:26 pm
Iso-Tones Regular

i read a few months ago about a guy who was perscribed medical marajuana and when they tested him, they fired him even though he had a perscription and everything.

Sat May 17, 2008 8:39 am
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]